Today we are introducing a new feature, Two for Tuesday Tips. Each week we will present two new tips meant to make living this modern life a bit easier and more enjoyable. They won’t necessarily be related, but hopefully, you will always find them relevant.
Our first tip today is all about cooling off. Few things quench thirst like grapefruit. To make a quick drink that is delicious and will surely relieve your thirst, try this Grapefruit Sparkler.
Tip no. 2 is a fun game to play around the patio table. You can play with just a few, but I assure you it is much more fun with lots of players.
savour… sun and sips
- 8 oz. grapefruit juice
- 8 oz. filtered tap water
- 1/2 cup mint leaves muddled with a pinch of salt
- 16 oz. seltzer water
- Place grapefruit juice, water, and muddled mint leaves in a pitcher.
- Cool in refrigerator.
- To serve, pour over ice in a tall tumbler until half full.
- Pour chilled seltzer water to fill.
Before you start:
There are several tricky ways to earn players a letter. If you are the dealer, you can pretend to pick up your cards, but stop just short of doing so. If anyone else picks up their cards before you, they get a letter.
Likewise, some crafty players will pretend they have achieved four of a kind and act as if they are going to grab a spoon to incite others.
Be the first to get four of a kind or not be the last one to try to grab a spoon. Be the last to spell out the word SPOON.
- Played with 3 or more players, two decks of 52 playing cards, and one less spoon than there are players.
- Place the spoons in the center of the table in a circle so that all players have equal access to them.
- The first dealer deals 4 cards to each player. The remaining cards are used by the dealer.
- Nobody picks up their cards until the dealer does so. If you pick up your cards before the dealer does, you earn a letter.
- The dealer picks a card up from the deck in an effort to make 4 of a kind and discards one card to the right, face down. The next player picks up the discarded card and determines if they wish to use it or pass it on to the right, also face down. This continues until the last player in the round discards a card to the discard pile.
- The dealer continues drawing cards and passing to the right. No player may have more than 4 cards in their hand at any time, so the discarded cards next to them may begin to build up if they play slowly.
- As soon as any player has 4 of a kind, they may grab a spoon. As soon as one spoon is grabbed, any player may grab a spoon. The person left empty-handed has earned themselves a letter.
- No player may grab the first spoon unless they have 4 of a kind. Doing so will earn them a letter and the round will be over.
- The next round is dealt by the person to the right of the previous dealer.
- When you have spelled out S-P-O-O-N with your letters you are out.
- When a player is out, the number of spoons is reduced by one.
- The last person out wins.