We’re lightening up a bit this week for summer. This sweetly simple treat is easy to make and perfect for calorie-conscious dessert lovers. For all the flavor and texture it has, there is little fat involved.
Served with some fresh fruit or even a bit of frozen yogurt, this ‘cookie’ could be a great alternative to ice cream and heavier desserts. With very few ingredients and most of the work happening in the oven, you’ll be on your way to a light and crispy treat in no time.
CHOCOLATE SWIRL MERINGUES
Before you start:
Allow the egg whites to come to room temperature before beginning.
I like my meringues to have a slightly chewy center. For that reason, I typically remove them from the oven at 90 minutes.
The chocolate swirl may create some cracks in your finished product. No worries. They are still delightful.
- 6 egg whites (6 oz.)
- 1 ¼ cups superfine sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 250˚F.
- Place egg whites and cream of tartar in the bowl of your mixer. Start slowly at first and then increase speed to high. Beat until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar one tablespoon at a time until the mixture is glossy and stiff peaks form.
- Melt chocolate chips in a microwave or in a heatproof bowl over a simmering pot of water just until melted.
- Pour chocolate over meringue mixture. Use a knife or chopstick to swirl the chocolate into the meringue mixture gently.
- Apply just a dab of the meringue mixture to the four corners of two baking sheets to secure a sheet of parchment paper to each.
- Place six large dollops of meringue on each tray leaving about 3 inches between each.
- Bake for 90-120 minutes or until the meringues are dry and lift easily from the parchment.
- Allow cooling completely before serving.