Looking for a sure-fire win for Valentine’s Day (or any day) ? These raspberry lime madeleines are a sure bet. We took everything that is wonderful about madeleines (crispy edges, cakey centers) and paired it with the fantastic flavor combination of raspberry and lime. They are just as unique and delicious as the orange anise madeleines we made before.
Before you start:
The resting time for the batter is essential. It should rest at a minimum of an hour or as much as overnight before baking.
For best results, a cold pan and batter are a must. After the first batch, rinse the pan in cool water removing any stuck pieces. Dry the pan and oil it and return it to the freezer while you glaze the first batch.
For consistency, I find it best to use a medium cookie scoop, leveled off. It provides just the right amount of batter to spread evenly and not overflow.
You will find that these are best eaten the same day, but will last a couple of days in an airtight container.
Raspberry Lime Madeleines
Perfect for Valentine’s Day… or any day.
- Prep Time30 min
- Cook Time10 min
- Total Time40 min
- Yield2 dozen
FOR THE MADELEINES:
- 1½ cups cake flour / 180g
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature, in small pieces
- 3 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar / 165g
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (about one lime)
- 24 raspberries
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 2½ cups confectioners’ sugar / 310g
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 1 or 2 limes)
- 6 tablespoons raspberry puree (about 40-50 raspberries smashed and pressed through a fine-mesh strainer)
- additional confectioners’ sugar for dusting (optional)